Kumar, Neeraj and Pandey, S and Bhattacharya, Amita and Ahuja, Paramvir Singh (2004) Do leaf surface characteristics affect Agrobacterium infection in tea [Camellia sinensis(L.) O Kuntze? Journal of Biosource, 29 (3). pp. 309-317. ISSN 0250-5991

[img] PDF
Restricted to Registered users only

Download (277Kb)


The host range specificity of Agrobacterium with five tea cultivars and an unrelated species (Artemisia parvi-flora) having extreme surface characteristics was evaluated in the present study. The degree of Agrobacterium infection in the five cultivars of tea was affected by leaf wetness, micro-morphology and surface chemistry. Wettable leaf surfaces of TV1, Upasi-9 and Kangra jat showed higher rate (75%) of Agrobacterium infection compared to Upasi-10 and ST-449, whereas non-wettable leaves of A. parviflora showed minimum (25%) infection. This indicated that the leaves with glabrous surface having lower theta (larger surface area covered by water droplet), higher phenol and wax content were more suitable for Agrobacterium infection. Caffeine fraction of tea promoted Agrobacterium infection even in leaves poor in wax (Upasi-10), whereas caffeine-free wax inhibited both Agrobacterium growth and infection. Thus, study suggests the importance of leaf surface features in influencing the Agrobacterium infection in tea leaf explants. Our study also provides a basis for the screening of a clone/cultivar of a particular species most suitable for Agrobacterium infection the first step in Agrobacterium-mediated genetic transformation.

Item Type: Article
Uncontrolled Keywords: Agrobacterium infection; Camellia sinensis; leaf micro-morphology; leaf surface chemistry; leaf wetness; tea
Subjects: Nutraceuticals
Depositing User: Dr. Aparna Maitra Pati
Date Deposited: 29 Dec 2011 07:24
Last Modified: 06 Feb 2012 06:50
URI: http://ihbt.csircentral.net/id/eprint/393

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item